Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Settling in..


This last week things have began to slow down and all of us have begun to settle in. Classes so far are going great! I have loved meeting the locals of Spiddal and Galway, they are all super nice! It has amazed me how welcoming these people have been. Since my last post, I have spent a good amount of time exploring the local area here, as well as visiting Galway numerous times. The atmosphere in Galway isn't something easily put into words. The streets are lined with wonderful cafes, pubs and shops, each offering something unique! There are also numerous street performers singing both contemporary and some classic music. Its similar to the experience of walking around a carnival. Different aromas fill the air, the crowds of people are loud, yet not overbearing and the buildings are painted in a variety of different colors. Shopping for groceries here in Ireland has also been pleasantly surprising. Our cabin has elected to shop together and share our food, making the burden of groceries more tolerable.


Dr. Konecny and Cora Lee also elected to take us into Galway so that we could experience the nightlife of Galway. At night, the city seems to come alive. More music in the streets, and bright colors illuminate the night sky. The people become more inviting and are much easier to have a conversation with. Speaking with them, the most popular question I was asked was if I liked Donald Trump. Something else I noticed, is, while Galway's night life has a culture or identity of its own, there are a lot of American undertones to be found. From the food, to the music, I found my surroundings to be more comforting than I thought I would. Many of the pubs play American music live, as well as some traditional Irish music.


Next week, we take our first field trip as a group to the Aran Islands. The Islands sit at the mouth of the Galway Bay, and offer some spectacular sights as well as some good history :).


No comments:

Post a Comment